Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Recipes

Matt and I usually get home from work/school at about 5:45. Frequently, either Matt or I have a meeting of some kind that starts at 7:00. The rest of the time we try to get Matt back to school at 7:00, so that means we don't have a lot of time for dinner. I want my meals to be fast, nutritious and made with simple ingredients that I generally have on hand. Oh, and no mac and cheese, Ramon, etc.. Fast is one thing and not so hard to come by, but I also want them to be cheap--I try to keep meals under $2.00 a serving. When I find a good recipe that meets these criteria, I feel I should share. Here's the one we had last night and both really liked:

Farfalle with Prosciutto and Green Peas (from DiscoverBarilla.com)

1 box Farfalle (I actually used whole what penne)
2 T olive oil (I only used 1)
1 small white onion, chopped
2 cups (or 6 oz.) prosciutto (in my world prosciutto is code for ham), cut into thin strips
1 1/2 cups green peas
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 cups half and half (I used fat-free)
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (I left this out)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
Salt & pepper to taste

Cook Farfalle according to package directions. Meanwhile, saute onion in olive oil over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the prosciutto and peas, saute 3 minutes. Add white wine, simmer until mixture has reduced by about half. Stir in half-and-half and heavy whipping cream, season with salt and black pepper; simmer for 1-2 minutes. Drain pasta; toss with sauce. Stir in Parmesan cheese before serving.

I live in a ward where it's not uncommon for 20+ women to be pregnant at any given time, so our Relief Society delivers a lot of meals. I signed up to deliver a meal anytime they need a fill-in and this soup from Annalise is my go-to recipe. So far, everyone I have taken it to has wanted the recipe. Generally I've thrown this in the crock pot during lunch so that it's been ready to deliver and/or eat when we get home. It doesn't get any more simple than this.

Annalise's Alfredo Soup

Equal parts Alfredo Sauce and chicken broth
Vegetables (I usually use a frozen mix of broccoli and cauliflower and put in some fresh carrots)

Combine ingredients and simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

No comments: