Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Grandma


My Grandma passed away while we were home over the 4th of July. She was 94 and she'd been by herself since my grandpa died 3 years ago. It was getting harder and harder for her to be independent and she'd been lonely since Grandpa died so her death was bitter-sweet.

Grandma loved to garden and always had a very large, amazing, flower garden. Growing up, I spent hours with Grandma every day while she worked in her garden. I was supposed to be helping, but I think all I really did was talk and pick the flowers. I got to make the casket spray and the easel sprays for Grandma's funeral with flowers from her garden and flowers that Grandma always grew--pink roses, purple and blue delphium, purple iris, white stocks. . .





(Ignore the background--I was in Grandma's basement canning kitchen).


The flowers looked like Grandma to me, so I was happy with the way they turned out.

2 comments:

Sarah Moore said...

I know how special she was to you. I'm sorry for your loss, but know that it was hard to see her not herself. What a great tribute you have paid her.

CaliBels said...

Oh, all the time spent in your grandma's garden--it was such fun! She was always so welcoming and friendly. Too bad she couldn't see the flower arrangements--they are gorgeous, and from her own garden! Even so, I know she was already aware of your great talent and was very proud of you.

I'm sorry, Jo. I know you were prepared for it, but there is always a hole when someone we love dies.