Thursday, May 15, 2008

New Old Dresser

I have a dresser that's been in various stages of stripping/refinishing for probably 20 years, and before that was in a flood in my great aunt's house. Mom inherited it and started to strip it but never quite finished. I, in turn, stole the dresser from Mom's basement because I loved the lines and of it and love free furniture. :) I've had it for 7 years now and never finished stripping it, so I finally gave up and decided to just paint it for Winnie's room. I never remember to take the right pictures when I do projects, so there is no before image but here's the after:

Okay, so it's only mostly "after" because I still haven't finished painting the carved details white. The green is "Moss" Krylon H2O spray paint. I hate rolling/brushing paint and love the ease of spray paint. I really liked that the H2O dried and hardened much faster than a brush-on latex paint would have and had very little odor. Unfortunately, all four cans of paint that I used on the dresser didn't have a uniform spray--it almost came out looking foamy, so it was really hard to get a smooth finish. By the time I'd sprayed all of the coats, most of the paint looks smooth enough, but it's not the even finish I've gotten from other spray paints.

Now I just need to buy some drawer liners. I have this funny quirk where I love antique furniture, but hate to think about my clothes (or Winnie's clothes, in this case) touching drawers that have been exposed to 100 years of dirt.

No comments: