Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Month of Meals - Day 3


Menu: Morrocan Chicken, Couscous & Carrots

What I Actually Made: Taco Soup and Crescent Rolls
Today was one of those days when I just couldn't stomach the thought of cooking. Matt wasn't home for dinner and I was tired, so I pulled out my old stand-by, Taco Soup. This is Rachel Terry Quesada's recipe and I love her for it! I always keep the ingredient on hand for this one because it's truly a one pot meal, it takes 10 minutes or less of prep time and it can be on the table in 20 minutes if you need it to be.
Recipe:
1 lb ground beef
1 small onion (I generally use a couple tablespoons of dried onions)
1 package taco seasoning
1 can tomato sauce (small)
1 can corn
1 can kidney beans
Brown the ground beef with the onion and drain the fat. Add all other ingredients, including liquids. Let simmer for 15 minutes.
I usually double everything but the ground beef and the taco seasoning. I buy taco seasoning in large jars, so I 1 1/2 that. Sometimes we get fancy and eat the soup with tortilla chips and sour cream. We almost always top it with shredded cheese. Tonight we ate it with refrigerator crescent rolls, since I had an extra can from a recipe I made last week.
Damages: Only the dishes we ate off of. Since I doubled the recipe, I just put the rest in the frige in a pot for Matt to eat when he got home. I cooked the crescent rolls on my beloved pizza stone, which lives in my oven and only requires a quick wipe after use.
Time Spent: 30 minutes--15 prep (including defrosting my ground beef) and 15 of unsupervised cook time, except for stirring every 5 minutes or so.
Pros: Easy, easy, easy and everyone love it.
Cons: None--except it might be a little much for a 100 degree July day.
Final Review: We all love this one. Classic comfort food. In the cold months, I probably make this more than any other dish. Do you think my family would mind if I made this a couple times a week for the next 7 months?


While Winnie did love the soup, I think her smile can mostly be attriubed to the fact that I let her use the step stool as a table to eat in the kitchen tonight.

4 comments:

amy said...

tired of me commenting yet? :) we love this recipe too!!! rachel's taco soup is a stand-by, just like spaghetti. everyone likes it, easy and cheap.

Morrise Family said...

I love that you're commenting! It feels like old times--except then we talked instead of commented.

Annalise said...

Thanks for the inspiration. My taco soup is on the stove right now! Except I always go the even easier route and leave out the hamburger. Protein from beans, right? I also always double this and freeze half. That way I get 2 meals for my family, plus a few leftovers from each one (my boys don't love it a ton, but I sure do!).

Morrise Family said...

I'll definitely try it without the ground beef next time. It's actually my least favorite element of the soup. Thanks!